The mission of the Waste and Recycling Division is to manage the collection and disposal of municipal solid waste, household hazardous waste, recyclables, and yardwaste in a manner that is environmentally sound, cost-effective, and safe.
The division will partner with residents, businesses, community organizations, other municipal departments and municipalities to enhance and deliver services that promote a healthy environment.
Services provided by the Waste and Recycling Division
- Curbside collection and disposal of residential waste, recycling, yardwaste, appliances, tvs and monitors
- Single stream recycling center at the DPW Yard including collection of all electronics, books, textiles, scrap metal and appliances (no refrigerators).
- Yardwaste drop-off for residents at the DPW Yard No commercial landscapers allowed
- Earth Machine composters are available for $25 utilizing a grant from the state Department of Environmental Protection. Pay by check or credit card at the DPW Commissioner’s Office, 55 Sea Street, Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 2:30 PM.
- Textile recycling bins in the DPW upper parking lot and in every school yard in the district are available for drop-off of clothing, shoes, drapery, bedding, under garments, small toys and rugs 24/7.
- “Beyond the Bin Recycling Directory for Massachusetts! Do you have stuff that don't belong in your household recycling bin? Don't throw them away. Find out where to recycle, reuse, or repurpose them in Massachusetts. To visit the MA DEP sponsored site, please click here.
- Household hazardous waste drop-off twice a year at the DPW Yard. Bring mercury and other hazardous material to Clean harbors, 1 Hill Ave., Braintree, (781) 380-7100.
- Outreach, education, consulting and support for schools, community organizations, businesses and municipal agencies in the pursuit of protecting and improving the local environment through waste management.
To schedule a curbside pick-up of Appliances, TVs and Monitors call (617) 376-7556 at least one full business day before your regular trash pick-up day. Monday pick-up should call the preceding Friday.
Curbside pick-up of furniture, mattresses and grills will be collected without calling.
If you are not covered by the City's waste management program because you live in an apartment building with more than 8 units, if you have construction and demolition debris or need to dispose of items not accepted by curbside service, you can call Willard's Disposal Service on Billings Rd. in Quincy at (617) 770-4503 or e-mail by clicking here.