Consecrated in 1855, Mount Wollaston Cemetery was originally 25 acres. The first lot was sold in May, 1856. The design and layout of the cemetery was completed by Dr. William Pattee, Luther Briggs (Surveyor) and Daniel Briggs (Planner). Mr. Daniel Brims of the Forest Hills Cemetery was also instrumental in the design and layout of Mount Wollaston as a "garden cemetery."
The Design Commission comprised Luke Rideout, Lewis Bass, Ensign Fellows, H.N. Glover, Joseph Brackett, William Auson, W.T. Morton and John Glover.
In Mount Wollaston Cemetery you will find the finest examples in the world of "turning" granite, a design technique invented and developed by The Lyons Granite Company of Quincy.
The cemetery is currently comprised of 57 acres.
To view a Map of Noteworthy Monuments in Mount Wollaston Cemetery, please click here.
The City of Quincy purchased approximately 50 acres from the Metropolitan District Commission in 1962 to construct Pine Hill Cemetery.
Pine Hill Cemetery is located on Willard Street in West Quincy and abuts the Blue Hills Reservation to the west and south, Department of Conservation & Recreation property (Shea Rink) to the north, and Willard Street to the east.
The first burial took place on April 6, 1966 and presently 13 acres are utilized for burials while approximately four acres account for roadways and the cemetery office and garage.
Hancock Cemetery was the city's main burial ground until 1854. It includes the burial sites of generations of the Adams and Quincy families, as well as the Rev. John Hancock. It was the burial site of President John Adams and President John Quincy Adams before they were moved across the street to the United First Parish Church.
There are 138 gravesites of Merchant Mariners interred at Snug Harbor Sailors' Cemetery. The first burial occurred here in 1882 and the last burial was in 1967. The cemetery was taken over by the City of Quincy in 1952.
Nestled inside of Merrymount Park, Sailor's Home Cemetery contains the eternal remains of more than 120 veterans of the Civil War. The idea for the National Sailor's Home came about as early as 1862, when leading officers of the Navy committed to the idea of developing housing opportunities for disabled seamen who could not care for themselves.
The Sailor's Home was located on a 6 acre farm on what is now Rice Road and Fenno Street. The cemetery was consecrated in 1866, and the home ceased operating in 1930. Today, the Sailor's Home Cemetery is maintained by the City of Quincy Cemetery Department, and is a true hidden historical jewel for residents and visitors alike.
This map, which was compiled by Denis Gearin, a neighbor and member of the city's Cemetery Board of Managers, provides information on the men buried inside of Sailor's Home Cemetery. We welcome you to peruse this map and use it as a tool to visit this cemetery that helps tell a small chapter in the history of our great Nation.
Named after James Hall, the cemetery's jurisdiction was transferred to the City of Quincy in 1956. Prior to that date, the cemetery was run by the private Hall Cemetery Association.