Hancock Cemetery Interactive Maps
Historians believe that burials have taken place at Hancock Cemetery since Quincy was first settled by Europeans in the 1620s. Early Puritans had a pragmatic attitude towards death and burial: grave markers were often impermanent or non-existent and cattle roamed freely throughout the site. Consequently, many more people are buried here than the existing 933 markers would suggest. The land was privately held until 1809, when a group of citizens wanting to protect the burial ground, including John Quincy Adams and Josiah Quincy, purchased the land and donated it to the town. The deed stipulated that cattle never again be allowed to use the land as pasture. The iron fencing around the area dates to 1844.
Google Maps Version
Google Earth Version