Mount Wollaston Cemetery, 20 Sea Street
Consecrated in 1855, Mount Wollaston Cemetery was originally 25 acres. The first lot was sold in May, 1856. The design and layout of the cemetery was completed by Dr. William Pattee, Luther Briggs (Surveyor) and Daniel Briggs (Planner). Mr. Daniel Brims of the Forest Hills Cemetery was also instrumental in the design and layout of Mount Wollaston as a "garden cemetery."
The Design Commission comprised Luke Rideout, Lewis Bass, Ensign Fellows, H.N. Glover, Joseph Brackett, William Auson, W.T. Morton and John Glover.
In Mount Wollaston Cemetery you will find the finest examples in the world of "turning" granite, a design technique invented and developed by The Lyons Granite Company of Quincy.
The cemetery is currently comprised of 57 acres.
Pine Hill Cemetery, Willard Street
The City of Quincy purchased approximately 50 acres from the Metropolitan District Commission in 1962 to construct Pine Hill Cemetery.
Pine Hill Cemetery is located on Willard Street in West Quincy and abuts the Blue Hills Reservation to the west and south, Department of Conservation & Recreation property (Shea Rink) to the north, and Willard Street to the east.
The first burial took place on April 6, 1966 and presently 13 acres are utilized for burials while approximately four acres account for roadways and the cemetery office and garage.
Hancock Cemetery, 1307 Hancock Street
Hancock Cemetery was the city's main burial ground until 1854. It includes the burial sites of generations of the Adams and Quincy families, as well as the Rev. John Hancock. It was the burial site of President John Adams and President John Quincy Adams before they were moved across the street to the United First Parish Church.
Snug Harbor Sailors' Cemetery, Palmer Street (rear)
There are 138 gravesites of Merchant Mariners interred at Snug Harbor Sailors' Cemetery. The first burial occurred here in 1882 and the last burial was in 1967. The cemetery was taken over by the City of Quincy in 1952.
National Sailors' Home Cemetery, Fenno Street
This cemetery contains the remains of those US Navy veterans housed at the Old Sailors' Home that once existed nearby in Beechwood Knoll. Burials occurred at this location from 1867-1931. There are 119 gravestones in this cemetery. An in-depth report on the history of this cemetery can be found at the Thomas Crane Public Library.
Hall Cemetery, Hall Place
Named after James Hall, the cemetery's jurisdiction was transferred to the City of Quincy in 1956. Prior to that date, the cemetery was run by the private Hall Cemetery Association.